Goa Railway Station | Madgaon Goa Railway Station
Goa Railway Station | Madgaon Goa Railway Station
Goa Railway Station, also known as the Madgao or Margao railway station, is located in the western part of India in south of Goa. The tiny Goa is highly popular as the top holiday destination and is known for its beautiful beaches, culture, landscapes and nightlife.
The tiny state has numerous railway stations that serve as important gateways for tourists and locals alike. The most popular ways to reach Goa are by train, bus and of course by flights.
The station was built during Portuguese rule to transport goods and personnel between Goa and other parts of India.
But after India’s independence, the station was then taken over by the Indian Railways and has since undergone several upgrades and renovations.
This article, focuses on the Goa Railway Station or the Madgaon Railway Station, and explore its history, facilities, and importance in the Goa’s transportation network.
History – Goa Railway Station
Goa Railway Station is a important component of the state’s transportation network and plays a crucial role in connecting Goa to other parts of India.
The Goa Railway Station, was built by the Portuguese during the colonial rule in the early 1900s to facilitate the movement of goods and personnel between Goa and other parts of India.
It was the only link between the state and neighbouring regions to transport goods to and from the ports in Mumbai and Mangalore.
In the year 1947, the Goa Railway Station was taken over by the Indian Railways and thereafter there have been several upgrades and renovations to meet the rapidly growing demands for passengers and freight services.
Today, the station serves as a major railway hub in the Konkan Railway network, which connects Mumbai to Mangalore via Goa and other several coastal regions.
Madgao Goa Railway Station is the busiest and most important railway stations in the Konkan Railway network that serves as a major transit point for tourists.
The station is well-connected to several major cities in India, including Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Delhi, etc.
Madgao railway station also serves as a hub for the transportation of goods and commodities to and from Goa. Goa is rich in mineral sources such as coal, iron ore, and spices, among others and hence the state is known for its mining and agriculture industries.
The station has quite a large waiting hall, several ticket reservation counters, and food and beverage outlets that offer a range of snacks, drinks, and meals.
There are also several shops and vendors selling pretty looking souvenirs, books, and other items. It also has retiring rooms, a parking lot, and a taxi stand.
For passengers convenience, the station has several retiring rooms and dormitories where travellers can rest and freshen up before and after their journeys.
Whether you’rea tourist looking for a relaxing beach vacation or a local travelling for work, the station has all the facilities and amenities to make your journey comfortable and enjoyable.
As Goa is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India, therefore, the Goa Railway Station plays a very crucial part in facilitating the movement of tourists to and fro.
The station is located in Madgaon. Madgao or Margao is the second-largest town in Goa and is known for its colonial-era architecture, bustling markets, and vibrant night parties.
Visitors to Madgaon can explore the town’s many attractions, including the famous Colva Beach, and the Margao Municipal Garden.
The Main Beach – The Colva Beach
Colva Beach is one of the largest and most popular beaches in South Goa and are a popular spot for tourists and locals alike. The beach stretches for over 2.4 kilometres. Colva beach is known for its white sand, palm trees, and clear blue waters. It is a popular beach for water sports such as parasailing, jet skiing, and banana boat rides.
Besides water sports, Colva Beach also offers a wide range of beachside shacks serving local delicacies such as local fish curry and rice, prawn balchao, and vindaloo.
These shacks also serve a wide variety of cocktails, beers, and mocktails, making it a perfect spot for relaxing and enjoying the beach vibes.
The beach is also home to several beachside resorts and hotels that offer comfortable accommodations for tourists at reasonable rates. These resorts offer a range of facilities such as swimming pools, spas, and restaurants, and are a popular choice among tourists looking for a more luxurious beach vacation.
Besides from the beach, other attractions is the oldest Our Lady of Mercy Church, which dates back to the 17th century and is known for its beautiful architecture and intricate woodwork.
The beach is just a short distance away from the famous Margao market, which is known for its fresh produce, spices, and handicrafts.
Top Famous Restaurants
Goa is a paradise for food lovers, with a variety of cuisines and dining options to suit every taste. Listed below are some of the top restaurants in South Goa that serve tempting delicious food:
Amigos – Is situated in Colva, it is a Mexican restaurant that offers a range of authentic Mexican dishes such as nachos, burrutos and tacos. The restaurant also serves a variety of cocktails and mocktails.
Martin’s Corner – Located in Betalbatim, Martin’s Corner is one of the most famous restaurants in South Goa visited by top celebrities. It is known for its mouth watering seafood, especially the prawn curry and fish thali. The restaurant serves a wide range of Indian, Continental and Chinese dishes.
Fisherman’s Wharf – is located in Cavelossim beach. Fisherman’s Wharf is a restaurant that offers variety of seafood dishes including the popular Goan fish curry riceand fish fry. The restaurant has a pleasant atmosphere and a live band at dinner.
Ritz Classic – Located in – – – Margao, Ritz Classic is a popular restaurant that serves a range of Indian and Chinese dishes. It is known for its thali meals, which include a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
Top Shacks in Goa
South Goa is known for its beautiful beaches and beachside shacks that offer a range of local delicacies and refreshing drinks. Here are some of the top shacks in South Goa:
– The Fisherman’s Wharf – Located on the Cavelossim beach, The Fisherman’s Wharf is one of the most popular beachside shacks in South Goa. It offers a range of seafood dishes such as prawn curry, fish fry, and lobster. The shack also has a bar that serves a variety of drinks.
– Sunset Beach Shack – Located on Palolem beach, the Sunset Beach Shack is a great place to relax and enjoy the beautiful sunset. The shack offers a range of dishes such as fish thali, prawn fry, and chicken cafreal. The shack also has a range of drinks including cocktails, mocktails, and beers.
– Sernabatim Beach Shack – Located on the Sernabatim beach, this shack is known for its delicious seafood and local Goan cuisine. The shack also serves a variety of drinks and has a relaxing ambience.
– Beach House – Located on the Betalbatim beach, the Beach House is a great place to enjoy some live music and a range of local dishes such as prawn curry, fish fry, and chicken xacuti. The shack also serves a range of drinks including cocktails and beers.
– Johncy’s Beach Shack – Located on Benaulim beach, Johncy’s Beach Shack is a popular spot for seafood lovers. It offers a range of seafood dishes such as prawn curry, fish fry, and lobster. The shack also serves a range of drinks including cocktails and beers.
– Mike’s Place – Located on the Majorda beach, Mike’s Place is a laid-back beach shack that serves a range of dishes such as seafood, Indian and continental dishes, burgers, and sandwiches. The shack also has a bar that serves a variety of drinks.
– Southern Deck – Is located on the Benaulim beach, Souther Deck is a great place to try traditional Goan cuisine. The shack offers a range of dishes such as prawn balchao, fish curry, lobsters and chicken cafreal. The shack also serves a variety of drinks including hot drinks and variety of cocktails.
South Goa has some of the best beachside shacks that offer a wide range of local dishes and drinks. These shacks are not just great for their food, but also for their relaxing ambience and stunning views of the Arabian Sea.
To summarize further, the Goa Railway Station is an important transportation hub in Goa that connects the state to other parts of India and plays a very crucial role
in the transport of goods and commodities. It is also an important landmark for tourists visiting the tiny state of Goa.